Parents who are engaged in fitness and wellness can easily influence their children to do the same. Here are some fitness exercises for your children
EXERCISES FOR CHILDREN
Parents who are engaged in fitness and wellness can easily influence their children to do the same. Here are some fitness exercises for your children.
These exercises are good for children (age 7 – 15) to develop flexibility, fitness, and good posture.
Exercise1. Rope Jumping
PURPOSE: To develop the heart and lungs
STARTING POSITION: Standing with a rope held in the hands
MOVEMENTS: Free skipping with a rope 30-50 times
Skipping the rope on with jogging steps 30-50 times
Skipping the rope on the same spot feet together 30-50 times
One can repeat this sequence three times.
Exercise2. Hitting the Bean Bag
PURPOSE; To develop strength on the upper arms
STARTING POSITION: Standing in front of a bean bag, fist clenched
MOVEMENTS: Stretch put the arms and punch the bean bag with the left and right fist alternately.
Exercise3. Monkey Play
PURPOSE; To develop agility
STARTING POSITION; Standing, feet apart, arms hanging naturally at the side
1. Jump forward with the left foot landing on the ground, while the right foot remains suspended in the air with the knee slightly bent. At the same time, reach forward with the left hand, fingers firmly held together, to imitate the picking movement of a monkey. The right arm is slightly bent at the side. Then jump backwards and return to the starting position.
2. Jump forward with the right foot landing on the ground, while the left foot remains suspended with the right knee slightly bent. At the same time, reach forward with right hand, fingers firmly held together, to imitate the picking movement of the monkey. The left arm is slightly bent at the side. Then jump backward and return to the starting position.
Repeat this exercise 8-10 times.
Note: This exercise must be performed in a swift and lively manner, just as a monkey do it.
Exercise3. Tiger Walking
PURPOSE: To develop the flexibility of the lumbar spine and hip joints
Caution: This exercise is not suitable with children with back injuries.
STARTING POSITION: Standing with feet separated shoulder width
1. Bend the trunk forward, bending the knees so the back is almost parallel to the floor. Grasp the left ankle with the left, and the right ankle with the right hand.
2. Take a step forward with the right foot, while turning the head to the right
3. Then take a step forward with the left foot, while turning the head to the left. Walk 8 steps in this manner. Then raise the trunk and return to the starting position. Breath naturally in a rhythmic manner 8-10 times.
Repeat this exercise 2-4 times.
Exercise5: Worm Wriggling
PURPOSE: To develop the muscles of the back and to prevent scoliosis
STARTING POSITION: Lying on the back, arms at the side, feet together
MOVEMENT: Move the body along the floor in the direction of the head by shrugging the shoulders for 2-3 minutes.
Note: The movement of the body looks like the wriggling of a worm. Do not use the hands to assist the movement.
Exercise 6: Tip-toe Walking
PURPOSE: To strengthen the feet and calf muscles and develop good posture
STARTING POSITION: Standing, barefoot
MOVEMENT: Raise the heels off the floor and walk on the tips of the toes. Walk 100 steps.
Note: keep the heels raised as high as possible.
Exercise 7: Edge Walking
PURPOSE: To prevent flat feet, and strengthen the ankle joints
Caution: This exercise is not suitable for children with ankle problems resulting from injuries to the lateral ligament.
STARTING POSITION: Standing, barefoot
MOVEMENT: Walk with the feet pointing forward, but with the inside of the feet off the floor (walking on the “edge”). All the body weight is supported by the outsides of the feet: Walk 100 steps.
Exercise 8: Eye Massage
PURPOSE: To relieve eye strain and promote good eyesight
STARTING POSITION: Sitting with eyes closed
MOVEMENT: Stoke and press the region around the eyes in a circular motion with the index and middle fingers of both hands, left hand for the left eye and right hand for the right eye.
Note: Do this massage with clean hands.
Adults can do this exercise too.
Enjoy your exercises!